Psalm 6: My soul is greatly troubled. Praying Through The Psalms



Psalm 6: My soul is greatly troubled.

God’s wrath against sin is great and something that unrepentant sinners should truly fear. David was very ill, and people were saying that his sickness was a punishment from God for his sin. He was greatly disturbed by this and afraid of dying because of his sins. David wept and pleaded with God because he did not want to die in his sin; he wanted to live in remembrance of and praise to God.

There are times in our lives when we, like David, live in fear. We may fear the possibility that our sins are so great that they’re unforgivable, or we may be afraid of what lies ahead in our future. When we struggle with our health, or disputes and controversies with others, or perhaps even the consequences of our own sins, we may, like David, fear death, but also the possibility that we may fall further into our sin and then be punished by God for it. As believers, these fears are often misplaced; Jesus took God’s full wrath against all sin. “For our sake He made Him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21). “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:21).

So, then what do we do when we’re struggling with these types of fear? Take them to God! Search your heart to see if there are sins you need to repent for. Lay them all before our heavenly Father and ask for forgiveness, the Holy Spirit, and a heart that seeks to serve Him. Leave it with God and, like David, be confident that the LORD hears your pleas and accepts your prayers.

I’m reminded of a song by Keith Getty and Stuart Townend called “In Christ Alone.” I’ve shared the Lyrics below, but here is a link if you would like to listen to it:

Listen to In Christ Alone

 

Pray through the Psalm

Gracious God in heaven,

I come before You now in repentance of my sin. You are a just and righteous God, and I know that Your wrath against sin is great. Search my heart, O LORD; I am greatly troubled by my sin, and long for the peace and comfort only You can give. Forgive me for the sins I committed knowingly and the sins I, in my finite mind, am blinded from seeing. Forgive me when I fall short of Your will and expectations, and by Your Spirit, grant me healing and strength. Forgive me for my lack of trust when I worry about things I shouldn’t, and hear my prayers, O God of mercy. Forgive me through the blood of Your precious Son, who took my sin upon Himself, and conquered sin, death and the Devil. All this I ask, in Jesus' Name, Amen.

 

Psalm 6 O Lord, Deliver My Life

To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments; according to The Sheminith.[a] A Psalm of David.

1 O Lord, rebuke me not in your anger, nor discipline me in your wrath.
2 Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing; heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled.
3 My soul also is greatly troubled. But you, O Lord—how long?

4 Turn, O Lord, deliver my life; save me for the sake of your steadfast love.
5 For in death there is no remembrance of you; in Sheol who will give you praise?

6 I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping.
7 My eye wastes away because of grief; it grows weak because of all my foes.

8 Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
9 The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled; they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment.

 

 

IN CHRIST ALONE LYRICS:

1 In Christ alone my hope is found;

He is my light, my strength, my song;

this Cornerstone, this solid ground,

firm through the fiercest drought and storm.

What heights of love, what depths of peace

when fears are stilled, when strivings cease;

my Comforter, my All in All;

here in the love of Christ I stand.

 

2 In Christ alone who took on flesh;

fullness of God in helpless babe.

This gift of love and righteousness

scorned by the ones He came to save;

'til on that cross as Jesus died

the wrath of God was satisfied;

for ev'ry sin on Him was laid;

here in the death of Christ I live.

 

3 There in the ground His body lay;

Light of the world by darkness slain.

Then bursting forth in glorious day,

up from the grave He rose again!

And as He stands in victory,

sin's curse has lost its grip on me;

for I am His, and He is mine,

bought with the precious blood of Christ!

 

4 No guilt in life, no fear in death;

this is the pow'r of Christ in me.

From life's first cry to final breath,

Jesus commands my destiny.

No pow'r of hell, no scheme of man

can ever pluck me from His hand;

'til He returns or calls me home,

here in the pow'r of Christ I'll stand!

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When you think about family.

Disappointment

"What then shall we do?"