Psalm 7 - In You do I take refuge - Praying through the Psalms
Psalm 7 – In You do I take refuge (see below)
Persecution comes in many forms. In Psalm 7, David cries out
to God because people were making false accusations against him and wanted him
dead. He feared them as one fears a lion, afraid they would tear him apart. This
is not an unusual encounter for God’s children; In Matthew 5:10-12, Jesus said,
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness'
sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when others
revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you
falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great
in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Many verses in the Bible remind us that anyone who follows
Christ will be persecuted. John 16:33 tells us, “I have said these things to you,
that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take
heart; I have overcome the world.”
We know that this life won’t be easy; the type of
persecution may change, but it will happen. As God’s children, we have a weapon
we can use to fight against evil: God. David wisely chose to bring his plight
before his heavenly Father, knowing that God would hear him. He claims innocence,
confident that he hasn’t done wrong in this situation. His conscience is clear,
and he entreats the Lord to bring justice to his enemies.
David knew that God will defend His children; He is our
shield and strength, our refuge in times of need. God is not ignorant of what
happens in this world; He sees the injustice and the wrongs done to us in this
life. He will bring justice and punish those who are against Him and His
children. When the world persecutes us or falsely accuses us of wrongdoing, we,
too, can call on the Judge of all. Justice belongs to God. He will protect,
defend, and preserve us.
David reminds us that God hates evil; all evil, all the
time. So much so that He poured out all His wrath upon His Son, Jesus Christ,
on the cross. Be reassured, because God has His flaming arrows pointed toward
the wicked. We often speak of God’s love, ignoring His wrath; however, that
actually minimizes God’s righteousness. He does not tolerate sin; the
unrepentant WILL be punished. If we do not repent and believe, we will
perish.
In Psalm 7, David makes a bold and accurate statement about
evil: God often allows the consequences of our sin to be the punishment for that
sin. We do this to ourselves. While God forgives the repentant, we still have
to deal with the consequences of our actions. Saul tried to get the Philistines
to kill David, but they ended up killing Saul. The Jews had the Romans crucify
Jesus, and ultimately, the Romans persecuted and killed the Jews. David makes
it clear that when we are sinful, our sin returns upon our own heads (Psalm
7:16). If you dig a pit with evil intent, you may just end up falling into the
hole that you have made.
Interestingly, David wrote, “You who test the minds and
hearts,” calling on God as Judge. Nothing is hidden from God; He
knows what is in our hearts and minds, and He judges every thought and action.
Despite our weaknesses and sin, this is actually a comforting thing for God’s children.
We can trust that, through Christ, we have been forgiven every sin. Through the
working of the Holy Spirit, God helps us in our weaknesses to serve Him as He
desires us to. However, the wicked and unrepentant should be terrified of God’s
wrath against sin; God sees their every sin and will punish them.
David ends Psalm 7 the way we ought to end all our prayers:
with praise and thanksgiving to God. So let us pray;
Dear God and heavenly Father,
In You do I take refuge; You are great and awesome, strong and mighty. No one can stand against You. You have told me in Your word that the world will persecute those who follow You, but I pray: keep me safe from harm, O Lord, and deliver me from those who would persecute and do evil to me. Let not the wicked falsely accuse Your child; judge my heart and see if I have done wrong to those who would spread lies. You are just God, and will not tolerate evil. I pray, O God, bring Your just judgment on the wicked. Save me and fill me with Your Holy Spirit, that I may be upright in heart. Let not my sins return upon my head, but in Your grace and mercy, forgive me when I have done wrong. Though I am not worthy, in Your love You sent Your Son to die in my place. Cover me with the righteousness of Jesus Christ, forgiving me when and where I fall short of Your will and expectations. I praise You and give thanks to You, O Lord. May Your name be praised, Amen.
Psalm 7 In You Do I Take Refuge
A Shiggaion of David, which he sang to
the Lord concerning the words of Cush, a Benjaminite.
1 O Lord my God, in you do
I take refuge; save me from all my pursuers and deliver me,
2 lest like a lion they tear my soul apart, rending
it in pieces, with none to deliver.
3 O Lord my
God, if I have done this, if there is wrong in my hands,
4 if I have repaid my friend with evil or plundered
my enemy without cause,
5 let the enemy pursue my soul and overtake it, and
let him trample my life to the ground and lay my glory in the
dust. Selah
6 Arise, O Lord, in
your anger; lift yourself up against the fury of my enemies; awake
for me; you have appointed a judgment.
7 Let the assembly of the peoples be gathered about you; over
it return on high.
8 The Lord judges
the peoples; judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness and
according to the integrity that is in me.
9 Oh, let the evil of the wicked come to an end, and
may you establish the righteous— you who test the minds and hearts, O
righteous God!
10 My shield is with God, who saves the
upright in heart.
11 God is a righteous judge, and a God who
feels indignation every day.
12 If a man does
not repent, God will whet his sword; he has bent
and readied his bow;
13 he has prepared for him his deadly weapons, making
his arrows fiery shafts.
14 Behold, the wicked man conceives evil and
is pregnant with mischief and gives birth to lies.
15 He makes a pit, digging it out, and falls
into the hole that he has made.
16 His mischief returns upon his own head, and
on his own skull his violence descends.
17 I will give to
the Lord the thanks due to his righteousness, and I will sing
praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High.

Comments
Post a Comment