Giving Our Children to God

Giving our children to God




This morning we had a sermon which brought me to tears. A sermon about Abraham being told to sacrifice his one and only beloved son.
He said, "Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you."
GEN 22:2 ESV
Without hesitation Abraham packs up to do as he is asked. He is told to sacrifice his only beloved son; the son whom he prayed and longed for, whom he waited for years for, THIS son he is asked to give up to God. And he doesn't question or argue or even drag his feet, he trusts. He simply trusted God with his child. In my weakness, I cry for him. How does one just accept a request like that without hesitation? I know Abraham trusted God, and I often pray for that strength of faith and courage. During the sermon the minister brought up the comparison of God sending His only begotten Son to die for us and these two things have been especially difficult for me to think about. The pain of losing a son has felt unbearable at times. Knowing God willingly sent His son to die for a people who deserve death has hit me over and over with one thought. If I, who didn't get to know my son, can feel this much grief over losing him, how much more painful it must have been for God, to not only give His Son up but send Him to a world of sin and His death! I confess I can't begin to fathom how that must have been. My weak heart and mind feel overwhelmed and broken with my grief, how much harder it must have been for our Heavenly Father. I daily remind myself that there is nothing I can possibly go through that can compare with what our Saviour went through. I truly believe that God will turn all things to the good of those who love Him. Everything is being worked with a view to our salvation.  I know that our Heavenly Father in His perfect love gave up more for you and I then we could ever understand. And so I find myself once again asking Him to help me let go of my own desires and trust in His good and perfect will.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
PHP 4:4‭-‬7 ESV

Find rest oh my soul!
May we feel the peace of God which transcends our earthly understanding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Desiring Children Part 1

Slaves and masters. A series on Ephesians Part 12 (Ephesians 6:5-9)

Cleanse me, oh God!